Monday, April 12, 2010

Geocaching

Our friends the Darby's came to visit us, which is always a treat. While we were talking Mark mentioned that they go geocaching. Well I'd never heard of it, so asked them about it. He told me on the various websites there are lists of GPS coordinates with small hints and you go to the coordinates and search for the cache. (see http://www.geocaching.com/, for more info). They can be anywhere from a micro cache (about the size of your little finger, to large Tupperware). Well Barb and I were intrigued as we went to the above linked website to see what is around. There was a lot, so we figured with a few in our area we'd give it a try. Unfortunately it was getting dark, and although the description said it was an easy find, we did not know what we were looking for and it was getting hard to see, so no luck. We decided that the following day, we'd go out as soon as I got home from work. We went to the same two locations we'd tried the day before and were successful (see picture). So now that we had found two easy ones we thought we were pros, so we when to a harder one. After spending 15 minutes looking around a bunch of red pipes, I was feeling like we were not going to make the find, but in a last ditch effort we searched again a little harder and make the find. So now we are hooked. There are about 5 geocaches on my way home from work so as I'm driving by, I plan to stop at them and see what I can find. Wish me luck.

No comments: